Hip Replacement Surgery
- What is hip replacement surgery?
Hip replacement is a surgical procedure to replace hip joint by a prosthetic implant, which is also called a hip prosthesis. Hip replacement surgery is often performed as a complete replacement or a hemi replacement.
- When do you need a hip replacement surgery?
Gleneagles Global Health City is one of the best hospitals for Hip replacement surgery in Chennai. It provides various procedures for hip replacement.
Signs that you need a hip replacement surgery:
- Pain medication
and physical therapy don’t work
- Hip pain affects your day-to-day activities and mood
- Your hip hurts when you’re resting
- You know your hip is causing your pain
- Your hip joint is damaged
- Stiffness makes it difficult to move your leg
- What is the prosthetic material made of?
The damaged bone and cartilage is removed and replaced with prosthetic components in a total hip replacement surgery. Strong plastic, metal, or ceramic is used to make artificial replacement parts. In most cases, titanium, titanium cobalt, stainless steel, cobalt-chromium alloys, or a titanium and cobalt mixed metal is used to build the femoral stem component.
- How is the hip replacement surgery done?
Your surgeon makes an incision over the front or side of your hip, through the layers of tissue to perform a hip replacement. Apart from the healthy bone, the surgeon removes diseased and damaged bone and cartilage. To replace the damaged socket, the surgeon implants the prosthetic socket into your pelvic bone.
- When can I start walking after the hip replacement surgery?
Patients are able to walk within the same day or next day of surgery most hip replacement, most can resume normal routine activities within the first 3 to 6 weeks of their total hip replacement recovery.