Dr Joy Varghese
Qualification: MBBS, MD, DM (Gastro)Book an appointment
Dr Joy Varghese has an overall experience of 12 years and is currently working as a Senior Consultant. He has been invited as speaker and also given oral presentations. He has presented various case studies such as Varghese J, Rajesh N, Vimalraj V, Rajesh R, Jijo V, Jeswanth S, Rajagopal S, Jayanthi V. A rare cause for recurrent cystitis. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2006;82:e11, Varghese J, Jayanthi V. Paraesophageal hernia. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2007;2(1):176. He is an Editorial Board Member of World Journal of Hepatology and Global Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology. He is also an esteemed member of Association of Physician of India, Indian Society of Gastroenterology, Indian Association of Study of Liver Disease, International Club of Ascites, European Association of Study of Liver Disease, and International Liver Transplantation Society. He has presented papers as posters in National & International Conferences.
12 Years of Experience
- 2015 to 2017
Lead Clinician – Senior Consultant, Department of Hepatology & Liver Transplantation, Institute of Liver Disease & Transplantation, Global Hospitals & Health City
- 2010 to 2015
Senior Consultant, Department of Hepatology & Liver Transplantation, Institute of Liver Disease & Transplantation, Global Hospitals & Health City
- 2008 to 2010
Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Gastroenterology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre
- Einthoven prize in Electrocardiology – First prize out of 70 MD postgraduate students
- Association of Physicians of India (A.P.I.) Medal in M.D. (Internal Medicine)
- Levy Thomson Award for clinical research work on “Understanding pathophysiology of hyperventilation in Cirrhosis” – Received at Canadian Digestive Disease Week, Banff, Canada in 2007.
- Indo – British “Young Investigator Award” – for clinical research work on “Hyperimmune plasma in Post Liver Transplantation” at MIOT hospital, Chennai
- ISG 2012 – Om Prakash Award for outstanding research work in the field of Gastroenterology – Received at ISGCON 2012 at Jaipur.
- Varghese J, Balan N, Naveen B, Caroline Selvi, Jayapalan K, Jayanthi V. Does autonomic dysfunction in cirrhosis liver influence variceal bleed? Annals of Hepatology 2007:6(2):104 107.
- Varghese J, Jijo V, Rajkumar Solomon, Jayanthi V. Predictors of variceal bleed among patients with liver cirrhosis in the era of sclerotherapy. Singapore Med J 2008;49(3):239-242
- Udayakumar N, Subramaniam K, Umasanker L, Varghese J, Jayanthi V.Predictors of mortality in hepatic encephalopathy in acute and chronic liver disease: A preliminary observation. J Clini Gastroenterol 2007;41(2):922-926.
- Beckebaum S, Klein, Varghese J. Renal function & Cardiovascular risk profile after conversion from cyclosporin to tacrolimus in 80 liver transplant recipients. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 2009;30(8):834-42.
- Assessment of allograft fibrosis by transient elastography and non-invasive biomarker scoring systems in liver transplant patients. Beckebaum S, Iacob S, Klein C, Dechene A, Varghese J. Transplantation 2010; 89(8):983-993.
- Veena B, Rajesh G, Varghese J, Sundaram KR, Balakrishnan V. Alcoholic chronic pancreatitis and alcoholic liver cirrhosis – differences in alcohol use habits and patterns in Indian subjects. Pancreas 2012.
- Somasundaram A, Loganathan N, Varghese J, Singh S, Jayanthi V. Does leptospirosis behave adversely in cirrhosis of the liver? Indian Journal of Gastroenterology 2014. (PMID 25239730)
- Srinivas R, Olithselvan A, Varghese J, Naresh S, Rela M. Latent Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Infection in Liver Transplant Recipients – Contraversies in Current Diagnosis and Management. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology 2011; 1(1):34-37.
- Varghese J, Gomathy N, Rajasekhar P, Venugopal K, Olithselvan A, Vivekanandan S, Naresh S, Sujatha C, Vijaya S, Jayanthi V, Rela M. Peri-operative bacterial infection in Deceased Donor and Living Donor liver transplant patients. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology 2012;2:35-41
- Varghese J, Reddy S, Venugopal K, Perumalla R, Narasimhan G, Olithselvan A, Vivekanandan S, Shanmugam N, Vijaya S, Jayanthi V, Rela M. Tacrolimus related adverse effects in liver transplant recipients: Its association with trough concentrations. Indian Journal of Gastorenterology 2014.