Dr Joy Varghese
Department: Institute of Liver Sciences
Designation: Director - Department of Hepatology & Transplant Hepatology, Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai
Qualification: M.B.B.S,M.D,D.M (Gastro),Fellowship in Liver Transplantation (Germany)Book an appointment
Dr Joy Varghese is currently the Director of Hepatology & Transplant Hepatology at Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai, India. He is the one among the senior most transplant hepatologist in India. Dr Joy has been in the medical field for more than a decade and successfully performed more than 1500 liver transplantations. He has played vital role in setting up liver transplant program in both Government as well as Private institutions at Tamil Nadu & Kerala. Having a vast experience in the field of general hepatology, Dr Joy has delivered more than 1000 lectures on liver disease / liver transplantation in India and abroad. He is the first person in India who initiated therapeutic plasma exchange in various liver conditions and successfully performed hepatitis B virus related liver transplantation using hyper immune plasma. He has published more than 100 scientific papers in the field of liver diseases.
- Program Director – Liver Transplant Society of India (LTSI) Fellowship in Transplant Hepatology, Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai
- Program Director – Fellowship in Transplant Hepatology, Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai affiliated by The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai
- National Board Examiner for DNB (Gastroenterology)
- Teaching faculty at SRM medical university, Chennai
25 Years of Experience
- 2018 onwards
Director, Department of Hepatology & Transplant Hepatology,, Institute of Liver Disease & Transplantation, Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai
- 2017 to 2018
Program Co-Director, Department of Hepatology & Liver Transplantation, Center of Liver Disease & Transplantation Apollo Hospital, Chennai
- 2015 to 2017
Lead Clinician – Senior Consultant, Department of Hepatology & Liver Transplantation, Institute of Liver Disease & Transplantation, Global Hospitals & Health City
- 2010 to 2015
Senior Consultant, Department of Hepatology & Liver Transplantation, Institute of Liver Disease & Transplantation, Global Hospitals & Health City
- 2008 to 2010
Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Gastroenterology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Cochin
- 2007 to 2008
Fellowship in Liver Transplantation, University Hospital, Essen, Germany
- General Hepatology – Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Fatty liver, Alcoholic liver disease, Wilsons disease
- Transplant Hepatology – Adult & Pediatric liver transplantation, Combined liver & kidney transplantation
- Transplant Oncology – Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Liver Intensive Care – Acute liver failure, Liver dialysis (Plasma exchange)
- Association of Physicians of India (A.P.I.) Medal in M.D. (Internal Medicine).
- Levy Thomson Award for clinical research work on “Understanding pathophysiology of hyperventilation in Cirrhosis” at Canadian Digestive Disease Week, Banff, Canada in 2007.
- Received the Indo-British “Young Investigator Award” for clinical research work on “Hyperimmune Plasma in Post Liver Transplantation”.
- Received the ISG 2012 – Om Prakash Award for outstanding research work in the field of Gastroenterology at ISGCON 2012, Jaipur.
- “Best doctor award – 2018” from the then Hon’ble Minister Health & Family welfare Minister of Tamilnadu
- “Medical Excellence Award – 2019” from Hon’ble Governor of Kerala
Dr Joy Varghese is also an esteemed member of various organizations such as
- Association of Physician of India
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Indian National Association Study of Liver Disease
- International Club of Ascites
- European Association of Study of Liver Disease
- Liver Transplantation Society of India
- International Liver Transplantation Society
Posts held at various societies:
- Governing council member in Tamilnadu ISG
- Treasurer in Tamilnadu ISG
- Joint secretary in Liver Transplant Society of India (LTSI)
Dr Joy Varghese’s research publications can be assessed at:
- More than 100 publications in several national and international journals.
- Author of four book chapters.