Dr Murugu Sundara Pandian
Department: Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
Designation: Senior Cardiothoracic Surgeon
Qualification: M.S (General Surgery), MBBS, M.Ch. Cardiovascular and Thoracic SurgeryBook an appointment
Dr Murugu Sundara Pandiyan is a renowned expert in the field of cardiovascular and thoracic surgery with over 25 years of experience. Over the years, he has performed 3500+ adult, pediatric, thoracic and aortic surgeries with an impressive success rate. Dr R. Murugu completed his undergraduate & post-graduate training in general surgery from the prestigious Christian Medical College in Vellore, India. He underwent his M.Ch (CTVS) from SCTIMST, Trivandrum.
He also worked as an overseas registrar at Flinders Medical Centre, Adelaide, Australia where he was offered the position of ‘Chief Resident’ which is rarely bestowed to non-resident trainees. During his academic training, he has published many articles in reputed National & International Journals. He was also involved in hosting CME programs & International conferences.
Over 25 years of Experience
- 2015 – 2021
Senior Cardiothoracic Surgeon – Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai
Senior Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Vinayaka Missions Hitech Hospitals, Salem
Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Chief of Clinical Services, Manipal Hospitals, Salem
Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Vinayaga Missions hospital, Salem
Chief Cardiothoracic Surgeon, SPMM hospital, Salem
Overseas Fellow, Chief Resident, CTSU, FMC, Adelaide
Lecturer at CVTS Unit, Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Beating Heart CABG
- Surgery for Heart Failure
- Valve Repair Surgery
- Surgery for Aortic Aneurysms
- Complex Congenital Heart Surgery
- Redo Cardiac Surgery
- Lung Resection & Tracheal Surgery
Achievements and Awards
- 1989-1991: Bright Students Award from the government of Tamil Nadu.
- 1994: Presented with the Paul Harrison prize in Neurology.
- ‘Role of CT guided chemical lumbar sympathectomy in management of chronic lower limb ischemia’, published in the Indian Journal of Surgery, by Murugu SP, Booshanam, et al.
- ‘Chest wall mass with double pathology.’ published in the European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery. By Murugu Sundara Pandiyan, Alpha Mathew, et al.
- ‘An unusual presentation: Large clear cell tumor of the lung mimicking malignant behavior’, published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. By Alpha M. Kavunkal, Murugu Sundara Pandiyan, et al.
- ‘An unusual cause for Mediastinal Mass’ accepted for publication in the Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. By Murugu Sundara Pandiyan, Alpha Mathew Kavunkal and Vijit Koshy Cherian.
- ‘Mitral valve replacement in a young lady with Maroteaux Lamy syndrome’ accepted for publication in Indian J of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. By Murugu Sundara Pandiyan, Periasamy Sivakumar, et al.