Dr S. Rajasundaram
Department: Cancer Care - Oncologist
Designation: Director – Institute of Oncology
Qualification: MS. (Gen. Sur), DNB, M.Ch. (Surgical Oncology), FAIS, FAMSBook an appointment
Prof.S. Rajasundaram is a well-known Surgical Oncologist in South India with over 25 years of experience. He is the Director of Oncology at Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai. He has a vast experience of successfully operating on more than 18000 major surgeries so far which includes complex Head & Neck surgeries with micro vascular reconstruction, Laparoscopic GI & Gynaec – Onco Surgeries and state of art breast cancer surgeries which includes, Onco -Plastic Reconstruction and Sentinel Lymph node Biopsy. He has delivered many guest lectures at national and international level. He has held various posts at academic institutes and has served as a senior consultant for the past 20 years. He is an esteemed and active member of Oncology societies including IASO, ISO, AROI, ESMO, OGGSI, IMA and ASI.
He has created the unique concept of UNWAIT PHILOSOPHY in Gleneagles Global Health City with an aim to provide an immediate and advanced care to our cancer patients with proper counselling by not prolonging the period of visit and starting the treatment.
- June 2016 – Present
- April 2014 – Present
- April 2014 – June 2016
- March 2002 – March 2014
- April 2014- June 2016
- April 2009 – March 2014
- March 2002 – March 2009
GLENEAGLES GLOBAL INSTITUTE OF ONCOLOGY, Director and Head of Surgical Oncology
SUNDARAM CANCER CENTER, Chairman
SRM INSTITUTES FOR MEDICAL SCIENCE, Director – Oncology
APOLLO HOSPITALS, Senior Consultant Surgical Oncologist
SRM MEDICAL COLLEGE, SRM UNIVERSITY Professor and HOD, Department of surgical oncology
SRI VENKATESWARA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES(SVIMS) Professor and HOD, Department of surgical oncology
RAJA MUTHAIAH MEDICAL COLLEGE, ANNAMALAI UNIVERSITY Professor, Surgical oncology
He is a pioneer in Breast cancer surgery with vast experience in conservative breast surgery and onco plastic reconstruction and maximum number of sentinel lymph node biopsy procedures. He has performed more than 5500 breast cancer surgeries with best results.
He has a vast experience in advanced GI surgeries. He is an expert in performing Laparoscopic GI onco surgeries (Laparoscopic esophagectomies, and colorectal resection)
He has a vast experience in gynaec oncosurgeries and Laparoscopic gynaec onco surgeries. He has trained many junior surgeons in laparoscopic gynaec onco surgeries.
CRS & HIPEC:
Adept in cyto reductive surgery (CCRS) and HIPEC (Hyperthermic intra peritoneal chemotherapy) for advanced intra-abdominal malignancies.
Head & Neck Oncology:
He is a pioneer in performing complex head and neck surgeries with microvascular reconstruction with best results in the city.
He is well known for his complex thyroid surgeries.
Achievements and Awards
- Started DNB Surgical Oncology Programme in Gleneagles Global Health City
- Started the surgical oncology programme and Tumour Board at SRM Medical College, SRM University
- Instrumental in starting the M.Ch Surgical oncology course at SVIMS University at Tirupati, A.P., India.
- Most successful senior consultant surgical oncologist at Apollo Hospitals
- Started the oncology programme at SIMS Hospital and SRM Medical College
- Started the Global Institute of oncology at Gleneagles Global Health City
- Started the most successful multidisciplinary Tumour Board and Protocol for all cancers at Gleneagles Global Health City
- Pioneered the most successful CRS-HIPEC programme in India
- Started the Gleneagles Global Breast center – a unique comprehensive Breast cancer center with all diagnostic and treatment facilities
- Initiated most successful BMT (adult and paediatric) programme
- Spearheaded high precision radiation oncology programme
- Awarded “Medical Excellence Awards” in 3rd Annual World Tamil Chamber of Commerce on 11/5/2019.
- Gold medal in Mch.Surgical Oncology – Cancer Institute (W.I.A), Chennai.
- Secured University Gold medal in MS General Surgery exams- TN MGR Medical University
- Sriraam LM, Sundaram R, Ramalingam R, Ramalingam KK. Minor’s Test: Objective Demonstration of Horner’ Syndrome. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery. 2015;67(2):190-192.
- Manilal B, Bhargavi D, Patnayak R, Jena A, Reddy KS, Sampath V, Vindhya Vasini A, Manickavasagam, Raja Sundaram S. Breast cancer in young: Experience at a tertiary care centre in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. Journal of Clinical and Scientific Research 2016;5:93-100.
- Patnayak R, Jena A, Vijayalaxmi B, Manilal B, Settipalli S, Sundaram R. Sclerosing stromal tumor of ovary in a young female: A case report and brief review of literature Clin Cancer Investig J 2015;4:670-3.
- Patnayak R, Jena A, Prakash J, Sundaram R, Vijayalaxmi B, Lakshmi AY. Primary carcinosarcoma of ovary anunusual tumor case report with review of literature. J Basic Clin Repord Sci 2015;4:39-42.
- Jena A, Sundaram R, Manilal B, Patnayak R. Oral Cavity Cancers – Level V Metastasis. Indian Journal of surgical Oncology 2014;5(2):94.
- Vijayakumar, V.,Rajasundaram S. Vimalathithan NS , Umashankar P et al.
Primary Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Bladder: Case Report and Review of Literature. Indian J Surg Oncol (2019).
- Rajasundaram, S., Varadharajan, V., Chegu Deepa., Uday Prasad, P., Vimalathithan, S.N., Saravanan, S. and Venkatesan, R. (2020), Diabetic mastopathy—An uncommon presentation of a common disease. Breast J.
- Vijayakumar, V., Rajasundaram, S., Uday Prasad, P.V.. et al. Brain Oligometastasis from Synchronous Uterine Malignancies. Indian J Surg Oncol (2020).
- K. Sathiya, S. Balajisubramanian, K. Balaji, M. Thirunavukarasu, and S. Rajasundaram. (2020), Hybrid Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy with Deep Inspiration Breath Hold for Hypofractionated Bilateral Breast Irradiation: Coming Together is a Beginning. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics.