Dr S. Karunakaran
Department: Spine Surgery
Qualification: M.B.B.S, M.S, D.N.BBook an appointment
Dr S. Karunakaran has an overall experience of 25 years and is currently working as an Associate Professor of Spine Surgery. She has pioneered in percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy under local anaesthesia for disc prolapse. She is the fiirst in South India to have used INSPACE-interspinous implant for lumbar canal stenosis-Keyhole spine surgery local anaesthesia. She has performed more than 1000 spine surgeries-scoliosis, cervical spine pathologies, thoracotomies, laparotomy, disc replacement surgeries. She has presented various papers. She is also an esteemed member of Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association, Association of south Indian states, Association of Spine Surgeons of India, and Asian Academy of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery.
25 Years of Experience
Associate Professor of Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics, Government General Hospital (Madras Medical college)
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Government General Hospital (Madras Medical college)
- 2009 to 2011
Fellowship secretary Tamilnadu Orthopaedic association
Contract Medical Consultant, Department of Orthopaedics, Government General
- 2003 to 2004
Consultant Spine Surgeon, Meenakshi Mission Hospital
- 2000 to 2003
Junior Orthopedic Consultant, MIOT Hospitals
- 1995 to 1997
Medical Officer In Surgical Gastroenterology, Wellington Hospitals
- Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy
- Cervical spine pathologies
- Disc replacement surgeries
- Mohandas Weller Gold Medal & Fellowship Award at 10th Anniversary meets of the Indo German Orthopedic Foundation, India. On analysis of single level stabilization in grade 1 and grade 2 spondylolisthesis (SPINE)
- ASSI (Association of spine surgeons of India) Traveling Spine Fellowship2005
- Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Traveling Spine Fellowship 2006
- Best Publication in Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Journal 2010 -Morphometric evaluation of the Cervical Spine Pedicle in our Population
- Analysis of Lumbar Spine Stabilization and fusion in Grade I & II Listhesis, IGOF Journal Vol.: 1(2002) 97 – 104.
- Tuberculosis of cervicodorsal Spine, IGOF Journal Vol.: 2(2002) 35 – 39.
- Bilateral Cervical Jumped Facets-Operative management by dorsal approach, Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, Vol. 33(2007) 20-28.
- Morphometric study of the Cervical Spine Pedicle in our population- Best Publication 2011 in Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, Vol. 36 (2010)
- Retro pharyngeal approach for Upper Cervical Spine lesions published in Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, Vol.37 (2011)