Dr S. Karunakaran
Department: Spine Surgery
Designation: Director – Institute of Advanced Spine Sciences
Qualification: M.B.B.S, M.S, D.N.BBook an appointment
Dr S Karunkaran, Director, Institute of Advanced Spine Surgeries, Gleneagles Global Health City is a proficient medical professional with a rich experience of 25 years. He is currently working as an Associate Professor of Spine Surgery. He has pioneered in percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy under local anesthesia for disc prolapse in 2005. He is the first in South India to have used IN SPACE interspinous implant for lumbar canal stenosis for keyhole spine surgery with local anesthesia. He has performed over two thousand spine surgeries.
Dr Karunkaran is also an esteemed member of various associations such as the Asian Academy of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, Association of Spine Surgeons of India, Association of South Indian States and the Tamil Nadu Orthopedic Association among others.
25 Years of Experience
- 2016 to present
Director, Institute of Advanced Spine Surgeries
- 2014 to 2016
Associate Professor of Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics, Government General Hospital (Madras Medical College)
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Government General Hospital (Madras Medical College)
- 2009 to 2011
Fellowship Secretary, Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association
Contract Medical Consultant, Department of Orthopaedics, Government General Hospital
- 2003 to 2004
Consultant Spine Surgeon, Meenakshi Mission Hospital
- 2000 to 2003
Junior Orthopedic Consultant, MIOT Hospitals
- 1995 to 1997
Medical Officer in Surgical Gastroenterology, Wellington Hospitals
- Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy, Cervical Disectomy
- Cervical spine pathologies
- Revision Spine Surgery
- 3D printed navigational Jig based pedicle
- Magnetic Expansion Control
- Screw fixation in complex deformities
- OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion)
- Minimally Invasive ALIF (Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion)
- Disc replacement surgeries
- ‘Analysis of Lumbar Spine Stabilization and fusion in Grade I & II Listhesis’ published in IGOF Journal.
- ‘Tuberculosis of Cervico-Dorsal Spine’ published in IGOF Journal.
- ‘Bilateral Cervical Jumped Facets-operative Management by Dorsal Approach’ published in the Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association.