Dr S Selva SeethaRaman
Department: Department of Plastic, Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery
Designation: HOD & Senior Consultant
Qualification: MS, DNB(Sur), MCh (Plastic), DNB (Plastic), MRCS, Fellow in Microsurgery (TMH), PGDHHM, PGDMLSBook an appointment
Dr S Selva SeethaRaman, is a Plastic, Reconstructive, Hand & Microvascular surgeon with an experience of more than 15 years. He has completed his M.Ch. degree in Plastic Surgery at the Prestigious Stanley Medical College, Chennai. He also completed his intercollegiate degree of Royal college and a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS), Edinburgh, UK. Dr Selva is a passionate and enthusiastic Surgeon and uses his skills as an artist and a surgeon to help patients to reconstruct their features as natural as possible.
The art of enhancing the beauty, the skill to manage the tissue loss, and the innovative techniques of reconstructing are the few skill sets that attracted him to this speciality. Further, the joy of managing the birth defects of children and alleviating the pain of burn patients turned his passion toward this specialisation .
Dr S Selva SeethaRaman has obtained his Fellowship in Cancer Reconstruction & Microsurgery Surgery (Onco-reconstruction) at the Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai – the largest cancer center in India. His interest in Medical Law and Administration, has enabled him to complete post graduate Diploma in Medicolegal Systems and Health& Hospital Administration (PGDMLS & PGDHHM). He is also a faculty for microvascular training at Ethicon Institute for Surgical Education (EISE).
Dr S Selva SeethaRaman is a skilled Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon, who with his surgical prowess and innovative techniques has been recognized nationally and internationally by his patients and his peers. His passion and dedication to the specialty compliments his complete, holistic and personalized care for all his patients. He has been invited for delivering lectures in many National & International Forums.
He is also the founding trustee of Selva Sakthi Medical trust through which he executes his vision of providing free surgery and treatment to the underprivileged and deserving in the remote areas of the state.
More than 15 years of Experience
- Senior Resident (2007-2010) – Institute of Research & Rehabilitation of Hand and Dept. of Plastic Surgery (IRRH & DPS), Stanley Medical college, Chennai.
- Fellow in Microsurgery & Cancer Reconstruction – TATA Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai.
- Trained in many “International Centers of Excellence” at UK, Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore to gain experience with the nuances of plastic surgery
- International Visiting Scholar – ASAN Hospital, Seoul, Korea
- International Visiting Scholar – SAMSUNG Hospital, Seoul, Korea
- International APSI Visiting Fellow, Dept. of Plastic & Microvascular services, Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital. Taiwan. 3 weeks in May 2015
- Visiting Scholar in the Dept. of Plastic Surgery, Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, United Kingdom
- Institute of Hand & Reconstructive Microsurgery, National University of Singapore
- Professional Diploma in Aesthetic Gynecology – International society of Aesthetic Genital Surgery & Sexology and American Society of Cosmetic Physicians
- AO workshop on “principles of craniomaxillofacial fixation”
- Workshop on “Vascular Access for Plastic Surgeons”
- Brig. Kathipalia Fellow in Hand surgery Training under Prof. Mukund Thatte, Mumbai
- Visiting Fellow at Ganga hospital, Coimbatore under Prof. S.RajaSabapathy.
- Training in Burns Unit at Dept. of Plastic Surgery, Govt. Kilpauk Medical College , the second largest burn center in India
- Registrar in the department of vascular surgery, Vijaya Hospital
- Onco Reconstruction
- Hand surgery
- Aesthetic Surgery
- Trauma Reconstruction
- Breast Reconstruction
- Diabetic Foot Management
- Lymphedema Surgery
Achievements and Awards
- Awarded the IPRAS National Travelling Fellowship the year 2016 and the award was received at APSICON 2018, Lucknow.
- First prize in Nutritional Quiz for Doctors at SIMS Hospital, Chennai, September 16
- Awarded the International Travelling Fellowship for the year 2014 at APSICON 2014, Chandigarh.
- Telediscussions with Smartphones- XVI National Seminar on Hospital/ HealthCare management, Medicolegal Systems & Clinical Research, Pune – May 2014 was selected as one of the best 5 papers
- Army endowment BEST PAPER AWARD for the best article in IJPS for the year 2013 for the article “Cephalic vein: Saviour in the microsurgical reconstruction of breast and head and neck cancers”.
- Kamath Best poster prize “Algorithm for the management of external skin Defects in Composite Oromandibular defects” at APSICON 2012, Lucknow.
- Awarded the Ethicon Travelling fellowship for the year 2012 at APSICON 2012, Lucknow.
- Second prize for poster ““Breast Reconstruction in post-surgical breast cancer patients” – Breast cancer working group- KEM hospital March 2012.
- Third prize for poster “Breast Reconstruction in post-surgical breast cancer patients”- 63rd Bombay medical congress, INHS Aswini Mumbai February 2012
- Brig Kathpalia fellowship in Hand Surgery by APSI in 2011
- Kamath Best poster prize “Post-Oncological Tongue Reconstruction” in APSICON 2011, Coimbatore
- Awarded the SHRIMATHI PADMA NAGARAJAN & SHRI NAGARAJAN GOLD MEDAL for the MS (General surgery) for the year 2006-2007
- Won the second prize in the academic quiz competition conducted at Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research University in 2005
- Scored first mark in Biochemistry (1997-98) with Distinction (80%)
- Medalist in Orthopedics, in MBBS (2001-02)
- Overall performance award from the Dept. of E.N.T. (2000-01)
- College topper in Obstetrics and Gynecology (2001-02)
- Executive Member, Association of Plastic Surgeons of India(APSI)
- Tamilnadu Medical Council – 73012
- Indian Medical Association – TN/21168/127/144/173012/2012-13/L
- Life Member, Association of Plastic Surgeons of India (APSI) – FL236L2010
- Life Member, Indian Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery (ISRM)
- Founder Member, Indian Society of Reconstructive Transplant (ISRT) – LM 835
- Life Member, Indian society for Surgery of the Hand
- Member – The Transplantation Society,International Society of Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation
- Mandible Reconstruction using Free Fibula from post-polio Paralytic Limb- International journal of OroMaxillofacial surgery – Accepted for publication
- Benefits of Sucrose octasulfate (TLC – NOSF), dressings in the treatment of chronic wounds: a systematic review. Harikrishna Nair, N Venkateshwaran, Selva SeethaRaman S , Wuquan Deng, Apinan Uthaipaisanwong, Emilio Galea JWC Vol 30, No.4 , April 2021
- “Compilation of Gillies Oration” – It is the compilation of the Gillies oration with transcript from the presentation/ video delivered by the past Presidents of APSI. It was released at APSICON-2017 Kochi
- Chimeric superficial temporal artery based skin and superficial temporal fascia plus temporalis muscle flap – an alternative to free flap for suprastructure Maxillectomy. Dushyant Jaiswal, Prabha S. Yadav, Vinay K. Shankhdhar, Sakthipalan Selva S.R . Indian J of Plast Surg.Vol 44(3) Pg 501-4 , 2011
- Cephalic vein: Saviour in the microsurgical reconstruction of breast and head and neck cancers Vinay K. Shankhdhar, Prabha S. Yadav, Jaiswal Dushyant, Sakthipalan Selva SeethaRaman, Wingkar Chinmay. Indian J Plast Surg 2012;45:485-93
- Two in one: Double free flap from a single free fibula osteocutaneous unit Prabha S. Yadav, Vinay K. Shankhdhar, Jaiswal . Dushyant, Sakthipalan Selva SeethaRaman, Gujjalanvar Rajendra. Indian J Plast Surg 2012;45:459-65.
- Anthropomorphic and perforator analysis of anterolateral thigh flap in Indian population. Sakthipalan Selva SeethaRaman, Prabha S. Yadav, Vinay K. Shankhdhar, Jaiswal Dushyant, Puranik Prashant. Indian J Plast Surg 2013;46:59-68
- Reconstruction of a Marjolin’s Ulcer defect in the back using pedicled fillet flap from a post burn deformed upper limb- case report Prabha S Yadav, Vinay K Shankhdhar, Jaiswal Dushyant, Sakthipalan S.R Selva, Nitin Sethi, Bheem S Nanda Indian Journal of Burns, Year 2011, Volume 19, Issue 1 [p. 68-69]
- Anatomical variation of superficial radial nerve during free radial forearm flap harvest. Vinay K. Shankhdhar, Prabha S. Yadav, Jaiswal Dushyant, Selva S. R. Sakthipalan Letter to Editor Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery January-April 2015 Vol 48 Issue 1