Dr Somashekara HR
Department: Pediatric Hepatology
Designation: Consultant Pediatric Hepatologist
Qualification: MBBS, DCH, DNB (Paed), FPGHN, Fellowship in Pediatric Hepatology (UK)Book an appointment
Dr. Somashekara HR. is a seasoned and internationally trained doctor with over two decades of professional experience and is currently serving Gleneagles Global Health City as Consultant Pediatric Hepatologist. Along with his MBBS, DCH and DNB degrees, Dr Somashekara also has a Fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology from the renowned Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London to his credit. He also has Fellowship in Transplant Hepatology form Birmingham Children’s Hospital, United Kingdom
He has completed his core Pediatric training from World renowned Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore. While working as a resident trainee, Dr Somashekara acquired impeccable skills in performing procedures such as liver biopsy, abdominal paracentesis, upper GI endoscopies, Sclerotherapy, Banding Sigmoidoscopy, etc.
Dr. Somashekara H. R. has received several awards and accolades for his academic performance throughout his learning years including the best outgoing student award from CMC Vellore. He’s also contributed to various research papers that have been published by renowned medical journals.
He is well versed with management of liver disease in children like
- Biliary atresia
- Neonatal Hepatitis
- Sudden or acute liver failure (ALF)
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Chronic liver disease
- Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C infection
- Metabolic liver diseases like tyrosinemia, Wilson’s disease, Galactosemia
- Genetic liver diseases like Alagille syndrome or cholestatic disorders (PFIC)
- Liver tumors
- Budd-Chiari syndrome
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
22 Years of Experience
Consultant Pediatric Hepatologist, Gleneagles Global Health City, Perumbakkam, Chennai
- April 2015 to September 2020
Consultant Pediatric Hepatologist and Gastroenterologist, Mazumdar Shaw Medical Centre, Narayana Health City, Bangalore
- September 2014 to March 2015
Specialist Registrar, Pediatric Hepatology, Birmingham Children’s Hospital, Birmingham
- October 2012 to September 2014
Clinical Fellow, Pediatric Liver, GI Nutrition Centre, Kings College Hospital, London
- Liver disease in children
- Pediatric Liver transplantation
- Awarded first prize in the Breastfeeding Quiz Competition held at Bangalore Baptist hospital in the year 2009.
- Awarded the Capt. Jaising Jadhav Memorial and Drs. Charlotte and Manoharan prize in Pediatrics for the category – Best Outgoing DCH Student of Christian Medical College, in the year 2005.
- Awarded Best Senior Resident by Holdsworth Memorial Hospital Mysore for the year 2001- 2002.
- Presented a paper titled “Magnitude and Features of Scrub Typhus and Spotted Fever in Children in India” during the annual conference of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics (Tamil Nadu state chapter) and won the best paper award for the same.
- Paraneoplastic papilloedema in a child with neuroblastoma. Indian J Cancer,Scot JX, Moses PD, Somashekar HR, Sathish Kumar T.
- Magnitude and features of scrub typhus and spotted fever in children in India. J Tropical Pediatrics. Somashekar HR, Moses PD, Pavithran S, Mathew LG, Agarwal I, Rolain JM, Raoult D, Varghese GM, Mathai E.
- King’s Variceal Prediction Score: A Novel Noninvasive Marker of Portal Hypertension in Pediatric Chronic Liver Disease. JPGN. Peter W, Dominic H, Karthikeyan P, Somashekara HR, Davenport M, Dhawan A, Tassos G.
- Fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase deficiency caused by a novel homozygous Alu element insertion in the FBP1 gene and delayed diagnosis. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab.Somashekara HR, Patil SJ, Anusha AJ, Anil KS, Hiremath S, Subramanian K.
- Eosinophilic ascites – a rare presentation of eosinophilic gastroenteritis with spontaneous remission and relapse in an adolescent. Int J Gastroenterol Hepatol Transpl Nutr. Babu Vadamalyan, Somashekara HR, Tanya Elizabeth Spencer.
- Liver injury in children with long-term low-dose methotrexate. Acta Paediatr. Chayarani K, Somashekara HR, Rachel MB, Eslam Al-Abadi, Gupte G.