Dr Venkatraman Karthikeayan
Designation: Consultant Neurologist
Qualification: M.B.B.S,M.D (General Medicine),D.M (Neurology),Diploma (Neurology)Book an appointment
Dr Venkatraman Karthikeayan is an expert professional in the field of neurology. Over the years, he has handled many Neurological emergencies including thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke, cerebral bleeds, status epilepticus (acute seizures) and acute meningoencephalitis (brain infections)
Dr Venkatraman Karthikeayan completed his formal neurology training from the prestigious Madras Medical College. He worked as an associate consultant neurologist at Gleneagles Global Health City. He became the first Indian to receive the Clinical training fellowship award from the ECTRIMS (a global body for Neuroimmunology). He went to the Walton centre for Neurosciences, Liverpool, UK for his fellowship training in neuroimmunology and related neuroinflammatory disorders. During his period in UK he had the experience of treating a vast number of patients with neuroinflammatory disorders (Multiple sclerosis, Neuromyelitis optica, Autoimmune encephalitis, myasthenia gravis, nervous system vasculitis, nervous system sarcoidosis and Behcets syndrome). A comprehensive neurological care including the neurorehabilitation motivated him to participate in Neurorehabilitation services and acquire the skills from the Neurorehabilitation unit of Walton centre. He has a focused skill in functional neurorehabilitation for stroke patients.
Dr Venkatraman Karthikeayan has presented various research papers in international and national conferences including the American Academy of Neurology, European Headache & Migraine Trust International Conference, World Parkinson Congress, Indian Academy of Neurology, Indian Committee for Treatment & Research in Multiple Sclerosis, and many others. is also a member of various esteemed institutions such as the Indian Epilepsy Association, European Academy of Neurology, American Academy of Neurology, etc.
10 Years of Experience
Clinical Observer in Ultrasound-guided Botulinum Toxin Administration for Spasticity and Dystonia at The Walton Centre, NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool, UK.
Clinical Fellow in Advanced Therapeutics in Parkinson’s Disease at The Walton Centre, NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool, UK.
- 2018 to 2019
Clinical Fellow in Neuroimmunology at The Walton Centre, NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool, UK.
- 2017 to 2018
Associate Consultant in Neurology at Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai, India.
- 2014 to 2017
Senior Resident at Institute of Neurology, Madras Medical College, Chennai, India.
- 2011 to 2014
Junior Resident at the Department of Medicine, Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai, India.
- 2009 to 2010
Intern at Kanyakumari Government Medical College, Kanyakumari, India.
- Acute Vascular Emergencies
- Neuroimmunology and related neuroinflammatory disorders
- ‘Treatment of MOG Antibody-Associated Disorders: Results of an International Survey’ published in the Journal of Neurology by Whittam DH, Karthikeayan V, et al.
- ‘Treatment of MOG-IgG-associated Disorder with Rituximab: An International Study of 121 Patients’ published in the Journal of Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders by Whittam DH, Cobo-Calvo A, Lopez-Chiriboga AS, Pardo S, Gornall M, Cicconi S, Brandt A, Berek K, Berger T, Jelcic I, Gombolay G, Karthikeayan V, et al.
- ‘Recent Advances in Drug Therapy of Migraine’ published in the British Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research by Baskaran P, Karthikeayan V, Natarajan A.
- ‘Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cell (CAR-T) Therapy- A Novel Treatment in Cancer’ published in the Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International by Baskaran P, Karthikeayan V, et al.
- ‘Influence of Gut Microbiota on the Brain’ published in Practice Pearls in Neurology by Venkatraman K, Poorna J V, Srinivasan AV.
- ‘Disseminated Cysticercosis And Role Of Spin Echo Short Tau Inversion Recovery Sequence Imaging: Case-Based Review’ published in the International Journal of Epilepsy by Ranganathan LN, Karthikeayan V, et al.