Dr T S Bala Shanmugam
Department: Surgical Gastroenterology
Designation: Senior Consultant & Head of Department - Minimally Invasive Bariatric & GI Surgery
Qualification: MS (General Surgery) FMASBook an appointment
Dr T.S. Bala Shanmugam is Senior Consultant & HOD in Department of Minimally Invasive Bariatric & GI Surgery with over 30 years He completed his MBBS from Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, Ms (Gen surgery) from Kasturba Medical College , Mangalore & F.MAS (fellow of minimal access surgery) awarded by AMASI (Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India). He received training in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery from IRCAD, Strasburg, France, Robotic Surgery Training in World Laparoscopic Hospital, New Delhi. He has performed over 2500 Basic & Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeries for the past 20 years. He is a member on the Editorial board of World Journal of Laparoscopic Surgery and Gastroenterology International and an examiner for MS (Gen.Surgery) AND MBBS , BDS ,Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Minimal Access Surgery(Dr MGR University)for various universities.
More than 30 years of Experience
- Minimal Access Surgery
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Obesity Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy
- Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery (Notes) and Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
- Acute Pancreatitis
He holds membership in prestigious institutions such as –
- SAGES – Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgical Society, USA
- Asia-Pacific hernia society
- EATS – European Association of Traslumenal Surgical Society
- IAGES – Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- AMASI – Association of Minimal Access surgeons of India
- OSSI – Obesity and Metabolic Surgical Society of India
- IAP – Indian Association of Pancreatology
- Ramalingam, Manickam & Senthil, K & S. Balashanmugam, T. (2016). Laparoscopic gastrocystoplasty for tuberculous contracted bladder. Indian Journal of Urology. 33. 10.4103/0970-1591.195759.
- Jayashree K V, Appalaraju B, Jayalakshmi J, Sowmya N, Jayachandran K, Balashanmugam T S, Ramanathan R. When molecular diagnosis went wrong. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2011;54:418-9
- Dinesh Kumar, Balashanmugam T.S. To evaluate the efficacy of diagnostic modalities used in chronic pancreatitis – Prospective hospital based observational Study
- Balamurugan, Balashanmugam T.S . A clinical study of multi – nodular goiter – A prospective study
- Prasanna Kumar, Balashanmugam T.S. An Evaluation of Patients undergoing Laparoscopic fundoplication. Thesis publication
- Abraham Benjamin, Balashanmugam T.S. Comparison of CTSI vs Bedside scoring in evaluation of severity of Acute Pancreatitis.
- Prethee Martina, Balashanmugam T.S . Prevalence of hypothyroidism in patients with proven Gall stone disease
- Vivek MR, Balashanmugam T.S. A study of Step up approach in Severe Acute Pancreatitis (2017 – present)
- Banu M , Balashanmugam T.S. Correlation between Ki67 and Novel bioscore system (SEER database ) in determining prognosis in carcinoma breast. (2018 – Present)
- Prethee Martina, Balashanmugam T.S . A case of Abdominal cocoon in a 34 year old male a rare case report.
- Author: Operative atlas of laparoscopic and robotic reconstruction- May 2017. Chapter- Laparoscopic Gastrocystoplasty (Page-441-446)